[ekdosis] ekdosis v1.2

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 21:23:44 CEST 2021

Dear Robert,

Great news all round.

I'm pleased to know that the Marburg (and SOAS?) Sanskritists are working
with Ekdosis.  What you call the "Sandhi problem," by which you mean
something mainly orthographical not phonetic (sandhi), has to a large
extent been solved in the Saktumiva <http://saktumiva.org> system where one
can switch writing systems at will and the system does the right thing with
inter-word spacing from script-to-script.  Dr Charles Li is the author of
Saktumiva, and the code is OA and on Github.

Another Sanskrit issue is hyphenation.  For XeTeX Polyglossia users, as a
user myself, Sanskrit text is already recognized and if tagged with the
right Sanskrit language tag Polyglossia (and Babel) will invoke the
appropriate hyphenation rules for both Devanagari and to IAST Roman
transliteration as well as several other scripts (Bengali, Gujarati,
Kannada, Malayalam, and Telugu; thanks to the author Yves Codet, author of
hyph-sa.tex).  However, these rules are simple and sometimes fail.  Over
several years I have been building up a list of manually hyphenated
Sanskrit words and compounds.  Importing my file (\input
sanskrit-hyphenations.tex
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n3ei6n2zy4vlx9/sanskrit-hyphenations.tex?dl=0>)
after \begin{document} can help a lot with TeX line-breaking.

Best,
Dominik