[ekdosis] ekdosis 0.99a is out

Robert Alessi alessi at robertalessi.net
Sat Jul 11 17:15:23 CEST 2020

Dear Dominik,

Many thanks for your compliments and your interest in this work.

I have been using polyglossia some time ago.  However, I moved back to
babel considering the significant progress that has been made in the
development of this bundle.  So I must confess that I have neglected
polyglossia so far.

This is all the more unfounded since polyglossia itself has made
considerable progress in the meantime.

Fortunately, polyglossia provides robust macros to get information
about the language in use at any point of the document.  So based on
these commands, I just added support for polyglossia v1.47 and higher
in ekdosis (changes are already committed and pushed at the time of
writing).

To do this, I used IETF BCP-47 tags as described in section 2.4 of the
current documentation.  Internally, this allows accurate language
matching regardless of the variants that have been selected in the
preamble.

To use polyglossia with ekdosis, I would nevertheless advise to select
languages to be used in environments the babel-way, like so:

------------------------------------
% preamble
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Some Font}
\newfontfamily\greekfont{Some Greek Font}[Script=Greek]

\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{english}
\setotherlanguage[variant=ancient]{greek}

\usepackage{ekdosis}
\AtBeginEnvironment{edition}{\selectlanguage[variant=ancient]{greek}}
\AtBeginEnvironment{translation}{\selectlanguage{english}}

\begin{document}

\begin{alignment}

  \begin{edition}
    Greek edition text...
  \end{edition}

  \begin{translation}
    English translation ...
  \end{translation}

\end{alignment}

\end{document}

As can be seen, babel commands provided by polyglossia are very
convenient within the second argument of \AtBeginEnvironment.  But
there might be other ways that I don't know yet.

Of course I will have to run some more tests, but hopefully ekdosis
1.0 will work with polyglossia as it does with babel.

Best wishes,

Robert
(A great admirer of EDMAC)