[ekdosis] ekdosis 0.99a is out

Robert Alessi alessi at robertalessi.net
Fri Jul 10 19:27:35 CEST 2020

Dear subcribers of the “ekdosis” mailing list,

As some of you may already have noticed, `ekdosis` v0.99a showed up on
CTAN just yesterday.  You will find it here:
<https://ctan.org/pkg/ekdosis>. Of course, the best way to install it
is simply by installing an up-to-date texlive 2020.

TeXLive 2020 is required because `ekdosis` uses the `expkv` bundle to
handle `name-value` options internally, and it turns out that `expkv`
is very recent, especially `expkv-opt` which is barely a week old.

Another obvious requirement is using LuaLaTeX as a compiler.

I chose 0.99 as a version number just because the documentation is
still a work in progress.  Hopefully, v1.0 with a comprehensive
documentation should be out by the end of July.

Meanwhile, if you have time, you might be interested in touring the
main features of `ekdosis` through the slides that you will find on
the basic web page of `ekdosis` in a section named “Literature”.[1] At
the same place, there is also the preprint of a submitted contribution
to the proceedings of the conference where those slides were
presented.

Why using LaTeX to produce a TEI output?  That is the first question I
try to address in the contribution just cited.  Surely, there is some
kind of tension between editions in print and digital editions.  From
which side would one start? `ekdosis` (and LaTeX) assumes that it is
from the legacy of early scholarly attainments which resulted in the
way traditional apparatus criticus are written in modern editions.
Starting from `xml` would require processing the code through
additional algorithms to avoid the stiffness that is inherent to
machines.

Well, at least in my opinion!  Surely, this is an interesting topic
for discussion, which brings me to set here the intended purpose of
this mailing list.

So welcome to this list, and many thanks for your interest in this
work!

With best wishes,

Robert

Footnotes: